1799 - 1840
Terraced four-bay three-storey house, extant 1840, on a rectangular plan with two-bay three-storey (south) or single-bay three-storey (east) elevations. Renovated, ----. Pitched and hipped slate roof behind parapet with clay ridge tiles, and concealed rainwater goods retaining cast-iron octagonal or ogee hopper and downpipe. Rendered walls with iron-covered stepped coping to parapet. Timber shopfront to ground floor. Square-headed window openings (upper floors) with sills, and concealed dressings framing replacement uPVC casement windows replacing two-over-two timber sash windows. Street fronted on a corner site with concrete brick cobbled footpath to front.
A house representing an integral component of the built heritage of Wexford with the architectural value of the composition, one succeeding a house allegedly used to detain George King (1771-1839), Viscount Kingsborough, during the 1798 Insurrection (Kehoe 1985, 25), suggested by such attributes as the compact plan form; the diminishing in scale of the openings on each floor producing a graduated visual impression; and the parapeted roofline. NOTE: The meeting place of the notorious "Thirteen Club" where 'membership [depended on] an ability to consume thirteen glasses of punch in quick succession' (ibid., 25).