1790 - 1810
Terraced two-bay four-storey house, c.1800. Part refenestrated, pre-1880. Renovated, post-1996, with replacement shopfront inserted to ground floor. One of a pair. Pitched (shared) slate roof with clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stacks over red brick construction having stepped capping, rendered coping, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered stepped eaves over red brick header bond construction having iron ties. Red brick Flemish bond walls retaining section of slate hanging. Square-headed window openings with cut-stone sills, red brick voussoirs, six-over-six (second floor) and three-over-three (top floor) timber sash windows without horns having replacement timber casement windows, pre-1880, to first floor retaining overlights. Replacement timber shopfront, post-1996, to ground floor on a symmetrical plan on polished granite base with pilasters, fixed-pane display windows, glazed timber double doors having overlight, fascia having consoles, and lined moulded cornice. Interior with carved timber surrounds to door openings having timber panelled doors, timber staircase having turned timber balustrade supporting carved timber handrail, and run-moulded plasterwork cornices to ceilings. Street fronted with cobbled footpath to front.
A well appointed house of the middle size built as one of an identical pair (second in pair not included in survey) identified in the streetscape by attributes including the vertical thrust of the massing, the diminishing in scale of the openings on each floor in the Classical manner producing an elegant tiered visual effect, and so on: meanwhile, although concealed by a painted finish, the house is distinguished by the construction in red brick incorporating traces of slate hanging once representing a characteristic common in Wexford Town. Having been reasonably well maintained, the house continues to present an early aspect with the elementary form and massing surviving in place together with much of the historic or original fabric, both to the exterior and to the interior, thereby making a positive contribution to the streetscape character of Main Street North.