1700 - 1840
Terraced two-bay three-storey house, extant 1840, on a rectangular plan; two-bay three-storey side (north) elevation. Renovated, ----, with replacement shopfront inserted to ground floor. One of a pair. Pitched and hipped slate roof with clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stacks having stringcourses below capping supporting terracotta or yellow terracotta pots, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered eaves retaining cast-iron conical hopper and downpipe. Rendered, ruled and lined walls with rusticated rendered quoins to corners. Square-headed window openings (upper floors) with cut-granite sills, and concealed dressings framing six-over-six timber sash windows. Interior including (ground floor): hall retaining cantilevered staircase on a dog leg plan with turned timber "spindle" balusters supporting carved timber banister, and carved timber surrounds to door openings to landing framing timber panelled doors; and carved timber surrounds to door openings to remainder framing timber panelled doors with carved timber surrounds to window openings. Street fronted on a corner site with concrete footpath to front.
A house erected as one of a pair of houses representing an integral component of the built heritage of Wexford with the architectural value of the composition suggested by such attributes as the compact plan form; and the diminishing in scale of the openings on each floor producing a graduated visual impression. Having been well maintained, the elementary form and massing survive intact together with substantial quantities of the original fabric, both to the exterior and to the restrained interior, thus upholding the character or integrity of a house making a pleasing visual statement in Main Street South.