1815 - 1835
Attached four-bay two- and three-storey split-level malthouse, c.1825, comprising two-bay three-storey section to left, two-bay two-storey section to right having pair of elliptical-headed carriageways to ground floor, two-bay two-storey side (south-west) elevation, and three-bay full-height return to south-east. Renovated, pre-1993, to accommodate commercial use. Hipped roof on an L-shaped plan with replacement corrugated-iron, pre-1993, iron ridges having gabled vents to apexes incorporating louvered panels, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered stepped eaves over red brick construction having iron ties. Random rubble stone walls with curved chamfer to corner to ground floor, and rendered wall to rear (south-east) elevation having cast-iron tie bars to each floor. Camber-headed window openings with some square-headed window openings to top floor having shallow sills, red brick block-and-start surrounds rising into voussoirs having timber lintels to square-headed openings, and replacement fixed-pane (three-light) timber windows, pre-1993, having louvered panel fittings to square-headed openings. Square-headed door opening under camber relieving arch with four steps, red brick block-and-start surround, and tongue-and-groove timber panelled door. Pair of elliptical-headed carriageways to ground floor with merging red brick block-and-start surrounds rising into voussoirs, and replacement glazed timber doors, pre-1993, having sidelights. Street fronted with footpath to front.
A malthouse of modest to middle size representing an integral component of the commercial or industrial legacy of Wexford Town having supported some of the local agricultural economy since the early nineteenth century: Peter Street or Gibson Street was traditionally the centre of the corn trade in Wexford throughout the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries with malted corn transported by ship to the Guinness breweries in Dublin. Although having been adapted to an alternative purpose following a period out of use, the elementary composition survives largely in place as identified by attributes including the traditional construction in unrefined local fieldstone with red brick dressings producing an appealing visual palette, the loose arrangement of a variety of elegantly-swept openings, and so on: meanwhile, the retention of a quantity of the original fabric further underpins the character or integrity of the site. Forming a neat self-contained group alongside a contemporary (c.1825) counterpart (15503059), the resulting ensemble makes a positive contribution to the streetscape value of Peter Street (Gibson Street).