1700 - 1840
End-of-terrace two-bay four-storey house, extant 1840, on a rectangular plan with shopfront to ground floor. Restored, 2002-3. Hipped slate roof with clay ridge tiles, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered red brick header bond stepped eaves. Rendered, ruled and lined walls (ground floor) with rusticated rendered quoins to corners; replacement slate hung surface finish (upper floors). Timber shopfront to ground floor. Square-headed window openings (upper floors) with cut-granite sills, and concealed dressings framing six-over-six (first floor) or three-over-six (top floor) timber sash windows. Interior including (upper floors): carved timber surrounds to door openings framing timber panelled doors with carved timber surrounds to window openings framing timber panelled shutters. Street fronted on a corner site with concrete footpath to front.
A house representing an integral component of the built heritage of Wexford with the architectural value of the composition, one allegedly erected on the site of a castle occupied (1641) by Walter Hay (Kehoe 1985. 45), suggested by such attributes as the compact rectilinear plan form; and the diminishing in scale of the openings on each floor producing a graduated visual impression. Having been well maintained, the elementary form and massing survive intact together with substantial quantities of the original fabric, both to the exterior and to the interior including not only a traditional Irish shopfront making a pleasing visual statement in Main Street South at street level, but also a slate hung surface finish widely regarded as an increasingly endangered hallmark of the architectural heritage of County Wexford (cf. 15503003 - 15503004; 15503052; 15503065).