1700 - 1840
End-of-terrace two-bay three-storey over basement house with dormer attic, extant 1840, on a rectangular plan with shopfront to ground floor. Refenestrated, ----. One of a pair. Hipped slate roof centred on gablet to window opening to dormer attic with clay ridge tiles, sneck-marked rendered red brick Running bond chimney stack having concrete capping supporting yellow terracotta pots, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered red brick header bond stepped eaves retaining cast-iron hoppers and downpipes. Slate hung walls on rendered, ruled and lined base. Timber shopfront to ground floor. Square-headed window openings (upper floors) with cut-granite sills, and applied timber surrounds framing replacement uPVC casement windows replacing six-over-six (first floor) or three-over-six (top floor) timber sash windows. Segmental-headed central door opening to side (north) elevation with carved timber surround framing timber panelled door having overlight. Square-headed window openings (upper floors) with cut-granite sills, and applied timber surrounds framing replacement uPVC casement windows replacing six-over-six (first floor) or three-over-six (top floor) timber sash windows. Interior including (upper floors): carved timber surrounds to door openings framing timber panelled doors with carved timber surrounds to window openings framing timber panelled shutters. Street fronted on a corner site with concrete footpath to front.
A house erected as one of a pair of houses (see 15503053) representing an integral component of the domestic built heritage of Wexford with the architectural value of the composition suggested by such attributes as the compact rectilinear plan form; and the diminishing in scale of the openings on each floor producing a graduated visual impression. Having been well maintained, the elementary form and massing survive intact together with substantial quantities of the original fabric, both to the exterior and to the interior including not only a traditional Irish shopfront making a pleasing visual statement in Main Street South at street level, but also a slate hung surface finish widely regarded as an increasingly endangered hallmark of the architectural heritage of County Wexford (cf. 15503003 - 15503004; 15503058; 15503065).