1765 - 1785
Attached two-bay three-storey over basement house with dormer attic, c.1775, originally two separate single-bay three-storey houses. Reroofed, c.1950. Renovated, pre-1993, with replacement shopfront inserted to ground floor. Pitched roof with replacement fibre-cement slate, c.1950, clay ridge tiles, red brick Running bond chimney stack, and iron rainwater goods on rendered eaves having iron ties. Rendered, ruled and lined walls with rendered quoins. Square-headed window openings (in tripartite arrangement to right) with cut-stone sills, and six-over-six timber sash windows (without horns having two-over-two sidelights to tripartite opening; three-over-six timber sash window to top floor having one-over-two sidelights). Replacement timber shopfront, pre-1993, to ground floor with pilasters, fixed-pane display windows with chamfered mullions rising into spandrels forming camber-headed arrangement having cast-iron supporting pillars behind, terrazzo step leading to glazed timber panelled double doors, timber panelled door to house on two steps having overlight, fascia having consoles, and lined cornice. Street fronted with cobbled brick cobbled footpath to front.
A range of the middle size originally intended as two separate houses exhibiting early origins on account of attributes including the reasonably shallow footprint, the steep pitch of the roof, and so on. Making a pleasing contribution to the streetscape diversity of Main Street North, the house is identified by characteristics including the slender vertical emphasis of the massing, the elegant Wyatt-inspired tripartite openings enhancing the design aesthetic of the composition with some openings diminishing in scale on each floor producing a graduated visual effect, and so on. Having been reasonably well maintained, the house continues to present an early aspect with the original form and massing surviving in place together with substantial quantities of the historic fabric, thus upholding the status as an important element of the built heritage of the locality. The house remains of additional significance as the birthplace of General O'Herron (b. pre-1798), a general in Louis Napoleon III's (1808-73) army.