1790 - 1810
Terraced single-bay three-storey house, c.1800. Renovated, post-1996, with replacement shopfront inserted to ground floor. Pitched slate roof with clay ridge tiles, chimney stack(s) not visible, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered eaves having iron ties. Rendered, ruled and lined walls with rendered channelled piers to ends. Square-headed window openings with cut-stone sills, moulded rendered surrounds, and eight-over-eight timber sash windows. Replacement timber shopfront, post-1996, to ground floor on polished granite plinth with panelled (hollow) pilasters, fixed-pane display window, glazed timber door, fascia having segmental panelled (hollow) consoles, and lined cornice. Interior with carved timber surrounds to door openings to first floor having timber panelled doors, carved cut-marble chimneypiece, and timber panelled shutters to window openings. Street fronted with concrete footpath to front.
A pleasant house of modest size making an attractive impression in Main Street North with attributes establishing a refined, if simple design aesthetic including the slender vertical quality of the massing, the uniform proportions of the openings on each floor, the rendered accents producing a muted Classical theme, and so on. Having been well maintained, the house continues to project an early aspect with the elementary composition attributes surviving in place together with most of the historic or original fabric, both to the exterior and to the interior, thus upholding the positive contribution made to the character of the street scene.