1700 - 1840
Terraced two-bay three-storey house, extant 1840, on a rectangular plan. Renovated, ----, with replacement shopfront inserted to ground floor. Pitched slate roof with clay ridge tiles, coping to gables with red brick Running bond chimney stack to apex (west) having stepped capping, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered red brick header bond stepped eaves retaining cast-iron octagonal or ogee hoppers and downpipes. Rendered, ruled and lined walls. Square-headed window openings (upper floors) with cut-granite sills, and concealed dressings framing six-over-six timber sash windows without horns. Street fronted with concrete footpath to front.
A house representing an integral component of the built heritage of Wexford with the architectural value of the composition suggested by such attributes as the compact plan form; and the somewhat disproportionate bias of solid to void in the massing compounded by the very slight diminishing in scale of the openings on each floor producing a feint graduated visual impression. Although much modified at street level in the later twentieth century, the elementary form and massing survive intact overhead together with substantial quantities of the original fabric, both to the exterior and to the interior, thus upholding much of the character or integrity of a house making a pleasing visual statement in John's Gate Street.