Categories of Special Interest
1935 - 1940
Attached two-bay two-storey house, built 1936. Hipped slate roof with clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stack having stepped capping, and replacement uPVC rainwater goods, post-1996, on eaves. Rendered, ruled and lined walls. Square-headed window openings with concrete sills, and one-over-one timber sash windows. Round-headed door opening with step, moulded surround on padstones, and timber panelled door having overlight. Street fronted with concrete flagged footpath to front [VO].
A pleasantly composed house of small to modest size representing an element of the redevelopment of John Street in the early to mid twentieth century whereby thatched ranges once characterising the vernacular legacy of Wexford Town were systematically replaced. Exhibiting an unassuming architectural design quality, the external expression of the house is enlivened by long-established attributes including the regular proportions on each floor, the understated decorative detailing restricted to a Classically-detailed doorcase, and so on. Having been well maintained to present an early aspect with most of the original fabric surviving in place, the house continues to make a positive contribution to the character of the street scene.