Survey Data

Reg No

15502088


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic Historical Social


Original Use

House


Date

1700 - 1840


Coordinates

304208, 121922


Date Recorded

07/07/2005


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Attached three-bay two-storey house with half-dormer attic, extant 1840, on a rectangular plan; three-bay full-height rear (west) elevation. For sale, 2005. Pitched slate roof with clay ridge tiles, red brick Running bond (south) or rendered (north) chimney stacks having corbelled stepped capping supporting terracotta or yellow terracotta pots, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered eaves retaining cast-iron downpipes. Rendered walls with cast-iron tie bars. [WEST]: Square-headed window openings centred on square-headed window opening (half-landing) with cut concealed dressings framing two-over-two (north) or six-over-six (south) timber sash windows centred on six-over-six timber sash window having part exposed sash box. Square-headed door opening (south-west) with concealed dressings framing timber panelled door having overlight. Set in unkempt grounds with rear (west) elevation fronting on to street.

Appraisal

A house representing an integral component of the domestic built heritage of Wexford with the architectural value of the composition, one given as an eighteenth-century farmhouse of the Wygram family (Kehoe 1985, 10), suggested by such attributes as the compact rectilinear plan form; the uniform or near-uniform proportions of the openings on each floor; and the high pitched roofline. A prolonged period of unoccupancy notwithstanding, the elementary form and massing survive intact together with substantial quantities of the original fabric, both to the exterior and to the interior, thus upholding the character or integrity of a house making a pleasing visual statement in Davitt Road North.