Survey Data

Reg No

15502066


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural


Original Use

House


In Use As

House


Date

1842 - 1882


Coordinates

304106, 121840


Date Recorded

06/07/2005


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Detached three-bay two-storey house, extant 1882, on a T-shaped plan centred on single-bay single-storey gabled projecting porch to ground floor. Pitched slate roof with clay ridge tiles, coping to gables with rendered chimney stacks to apexes having stringcourses below capping supporting terracotta or yellow terracotta tapered pots, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered eaves retaining cast-iron downpipe. Part creeper- or ivy-covered roughcast walls. Square-headed central door opening into house with timber panelled door. Square-headed flanking window opening (half-landing) with sill, and concealed dressings framing one-over-one timber sash window. Square-headed window openings with sills, and concealed dressings framing one-over-one timber sash windows. Green fronted with chamfered piers to perimeter having ball finial-topped capping supporting wrought iron gate.

Appraisal

A house representing an integral component of the domestic built heritage of Wexford with the architectural value of the composition suggested by such attributes as the compact rectilinear plan form centred on an expressed porch; and the somewhat disproportionate bias of solid to void in the massing compounded by the uniform or near-uniform proportions of the openings on each floor. Having been well maintained, the elementary form and massing survive intact together with quantities of the original fabric, thus upholding the character or integrity of a house forming part of a self-contained group alongside an adjacent house (see 15502065) with the resulting ensemble making a pleasing visual statement in The Green.