Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1895 - 1900
Terraced single- or two-bay two-storey local authority house, built 1898, on a rectangular plan. One of a terrace of eighteen. Pitched slate roof with clay ridge tiles, concrete or rendered coping to gable (north) with red brick Running bond chimney stack to apex having stepped capping supporting yellow terracotta pots, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered eaves retaining cast-iron downpipes. Rendered, ruled and lined walls. Square-headed door opening (south) with step threshold, and concealed dressings framing replacement timber panelled door. Square-headed window openings (north) with cut-granite sills, and concealed dressings framing one-over-one timber sash windows. Street fronted with concrete footpath to front.
A house erected as one of a terrace of eighteen houses (including 15503055) representing an integral component of the domestic built heritage of Wexford with the architectural value of the composition suggested by such attributes as the compact rectilinear plan form; the diminishing in scale of the openings on each floor producing a graduated visual impression; and the stepped roofline following the gradient or incline of the street. Having been well maintained, the elementary form and massing survive intact together with substantial quantities of the original fabric, thus upholding the character or integrity of a house forming part of a self-contained ensemble making a pleasing visual statement in Hill Street.