Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1850 - 1900
Single-arched railway bridge, built c.1851 and altered c.1890, carrying road over former Midland Great Western Railway Mullingar to Galway line. No longer in active use. Constructed of rusticated limestone with later steel and wrought-iron deck added c.1890. Located to the east of Rosemount.
A robust railway bridge representing an important element of the transport and civil engineering heritage of County Westmeath. This bridge was originally built by the Midland and Great Western Railway Company to serve the Mullingar to Galway line, which opened in 1851 and closed in 1987. This bridge is one of a number of bridges in the area associated with this company. The original span was replaced by a steel and wrought-iron span at the end of the nineteenth century. This bridge is an appealing feature in the landscape to the east of Rosemount.