Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Social, Technical
In Use As
1800 - 1810
Canal lock, built c.1806, consisting of pair of (restored) timber and steel breast gates with timber footboards, tail gates and balance beams. Set within ashlar limestone lock channel with early bollards surviving to the quay. Located to the east of Footy’s Bridge (15402712) with the remains of a derelict lock keeper’s house to the south.
An attractive and well-built canal lock that forms part of an important group of structures associated with the Royal Canal in Westmeath. The quality of the ashlar limestone construction of the lock walls and associated machinery is indicative of the grandiose ambitions of the Royal Canal Company during the early part of the nineteenth century. This lock has been designed and constructed with a high level of expertise indicating the importance of its role in the past and it remains an important element of the architectural and industrial heritage of Westmeath.