Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1850 - 1860
Detached two-bay two-storey gate lodge associated with Jamestown Court (15402544), erected c.1851, having a number of single-storey extensions attached to the lodge to the north end. Now in use as a private house. Pitched slate roofs with rendered chimneystacks. Constructed of limestone rubble with a rendered finish to extensions to the north. Pointed-arched window openings with dressed limestone voussoirs over, moulded cut stone sills and with replacement windows. Central pointed arched doorcase with glazed timber door. Lodge flanked to the south by a section of rubble limestone boundary wall with crenellated coping over and having an integral pointed-arched pedestrian entrance. Main entrance gates serving Jamestown Court to the south, comprising a pair of rubble limestone gate piers supporting wrought-iron gates. Located to the east of Jamestown Court (15402544) and to the southwest of Mullingar.
An appealing gate lodge associated with Jamestown Court (15402544), which retains its early form, character and fabric. This lodge is built in a subdued Gothic style and replaced an earlier lodge on this site, which was demolished to make way for the Midland and Great Western Railway Company's Mullingar to Athlone line, c.1851. It forms part of an interesting group of structures associated with Jamestown Court and is an integral element of the architectural heritage of Westmeath in its own right. The rubble limestone boundary wall and the main entrance gates to the south complete the setting and adds to this composition.