Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1850 - 1860
Detached two-storey former railway goods shed associated with Castletown Station to the northeast (15402530), built c.1851. Now out of use. Pitched natural slate roof with raised cut limestone verges to either end. Constructed of rubble limestone with flush dressed limestone quoins to the corners. Shallow segmental-headed window openings having brick surrounds and the remains of cast-iron windows. Openings now mostly blocked. Random rubble boundary wall to the north.
A well-built mid nineteenth-century railway goods shed, associated with Castletown Railway Station (15402530), representing an important element of the transport and civil engineering heritage of County Westmeath. This building retains much of its early form and fabric despite being out of use. This store was originally built by the Midland and Great Western Railway Company, to serve the Mullingar to Galway line, which opened 1851 and closed in 1987. Castletown Station itself was closed in 1963, at the same time many other small rural stations were being closed by CIE as part of a major restructuring plan. It forms part of an interesting group of structures associated with this former railway line in Westmeath and adds interest to its rural location.