Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Artistic Technical
In Use As
1840 - 1860
Single-arched railway bridge, built c.1851, carrying main approach avenue to Jamestown Court (15402544) over former Midland Great Western Railway Mullingar to Galway line. Constructed with dressed limestone rubble with a projecting ashlar string course at road level, ashlar coping over parapet walls and rock-faced limestone voussoirs to arch. Located adjacent to former gate lodge to Jamestown Court (15402546) and to the south of Loughanavally.
An appealing mid nineteenth-century railway bridge, which is an integral element of the transport and civil engineering heritage of County Westmeath. This bridge was originally built by the Midland and Great Western Railway Company to serve the Mullingar to Galway line, which opened 1851 and closed in 1987. This structure has unusually graceful proportions for a railway bridge but it is built with the typically robust detailing associated with the railway architecture of the time. The elegance of this bridge is due to the fact that it carried the main approach avenue to Jamestown Court (15402544) over the railway line. It is an interesting feature in the landscape to the south of Loughanavally.