Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1800 - 1900
Detached five-bay two-storey house, built c.1800. Altered c.1900 with addition of a projecting gable-fronted two-storey bay to east end of the front elevation (south) and a single-storey canted bay to the west end. Return to rear (north). Pitched natural slate roof with smooth rendered chimneystacks, having terracotta chimney pots over, cast-iron rainwater goods and a raised verge to the gable end to the west. Overhanging eaves with timber brackets to gable-fronted section. Ruled-and-line rendered with raised block quoins to the corners. Square-headed window openings with cut stone sills throughout. Chamfered reveals with stuccoed surrounds to window openings on gable-fronted bay. Timber sliding sash windows to ground floor openings with replacement windows over to the first floor openings. Former pedimented entrance to the centre of the main façade now blocked. Square-headed entrance to the rear elevation with timber door. Set back from road in extensive grounds to the north of Lough Ennel and to the southwest of Mullingar. Main entrance to the east and a complex of single and two-storey outbuildings/stables to the rear (north) arranged around a central courtyard.
An unusual middle-sized house, which retains much of its early character and has evidence of a number of different phases of construction. The front façade is well-composed and nicely proportioned despite the recent blocking up of the former main doorcase. This former doorcase appears to have had a pediment over, suggesting that this building may have mid-to-late eighteenth-century origins. The loss of some of the early window fittings in recent years, although regrettable, does not detract too much from the visual appeal of this building. The outbuildings to the rear complete this interesting composition, which is very pleasantly sited to the north of Lough Ennell.