Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1805 - 1815
Canal lock, built c.1810, consisting of pair of (restored) timber and steel breast gates with timber footboards, tail gates and balance beams. Set within ashlar limestone lock channel. Located adjacent to canal bridge (15401007). Associated lock keeper's house now demolished. Located to the west of Ballynacarrigy.
An attractive and well-built canal lock that forms part of an important group of structures associated with the Royal Canal in Westmeath. The quality of the ashlar limestone construction of the lock walls and associated machinery is indicative of the grandiose ambitions of the Royal Canal Company during the early part of the nineteenth century. This lock has been designed and constructed with a high level of expertise indicating the importance of their role in the past and remains an important element of the architectural and industrial heritage of Westmeath.