Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1840 - 1860
Semi-detached four-bay two-storey house, built c.1850, with an enclosed two-bay single-storey flat-roofed entrance porch to the centre of the front façade (west). Double-pitched slate roof with rendered chimneystacks and cast-iron rainwater goods. Roughcast rendered walls, with exposed rubble limestone walls to the north side elevation having brick dressings to openings walls. Square-headed window openings having cut stone sills and two-over-two pane timber sliding sash windows to first floor openings and replacement windows to ground floor openings. Square-headed window openings to porch having rendered reveals with timber casement windows having diamond pattern to top lights. Square-headed door opening with timber door to south face of porch. Set back from road with a chamfered plinth wall to road frontage having wrought-iron hooped railings over, cast-iron posts and a wrought-iron hooped gate. Rubble limestone wall to north facing side elevation. Single-storey outbuilding adjoining to south. Located to the south of Whitehall Roman Catholic chapel, adjacent to rural road junction.
An attractive mid nineteenth-century house, of modest architectural aspirations, which maintains its original character and form. The arrangement of the window openings and the position of the chimneystacks indicate that this house was extended to the south by one bay at some stage. This well-maintained house retains a great deal of its early fabric, including an appealing and visually interesting glazed porch. The good quality iron railings to the entrance, which are a fine example of traditional craftsmanship and ironmongery, enhance the setting and complete this composition.