Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic, Social

Original Use


In Use As



1850 - 1860


241259, 237327

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Semi-detached four-bay Roman Catholic church, built c.1858, heavily altered and remodeled, c.1970, with new entrance front/porch added to northeast. Pitched natural slate roof with cast-iron rainwater goods and a wrought-iron cross finial above entrance gable (northeast). Pebbledashed walls over rendered plinth with clasping buttresses, built of dressed limestone, between window openings to nave. Concrete brick cladding, c.1970, to entrance front (northeast). Pointed-arched window openings with modern stained glass to nave openings. Modern triple-light window to entrance front with three graded lancet windows to chancel gable with Mayer of Munich-type stained glass. Square-headed doorcase to entrance front with timber double doors and overlight above. Mosaic panel over main doorcase depicting the stoning of St. Stephen. Simple interior, reordered c.1970, with open kingpost roof, marble altar goods and a plain gallery above entrance gable. Set back from road in own grounds with presbytery adjoining to southwest and a freestanding cast-iron belfry to the north. Main entrance to northeast with cut stone gate. Associated graveyard to the east/northeast.


A simple mid nineteenth-century hall-type Roman Catholic church, the fabric and character of which has been somewhat compromised by a recent renovation. However, this modest church is of social importance to the Tyrrellspass area and retains a number of interesting nineteenth century stained glass windows to the chancel openings and some of its original marble altar goods. The freestanding cast-iron belfry to the north and the wrought-iron gates and railings add to the setting of this church and complete the composition. This church is unusual in that it adjoins the associated presbytery to the southwest (15322004). This modest church remains an important landmark to the southwest of Tyrrellspass. A grave in the associated graveyard to the east/northeast houses the remains of James J. Daly, a Tyrrellspass-born man who was executed in India in 1920. Daly, a private in the Connaught Rangers, was executed following his role in a mutiny by Irish soldiers serving in the British Army in India in protest against the actions of the British Army in Ireland. He was the only soldier executed following courts martial of those involved in the mutiny. He was buried in India but his remains were returned to Tyrrellspass in 1970.