Survey Data

Reg No

15321051


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic


Original Use

Hotel


In Use As

Filling pump/station


Date

1820 - 1840


Coordinates

233589, 235332


Date Recorded

03/09/2004


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

End-of-terrace Tudor Gothic style eight-bay two-storey (with attic level) former hotel, built c.1830, on a curved\crescent plan. Central two-bay gable-fronted section flanked by lower single-bay dormer windows (three to north end). Now in use as petrol station, post office, adult education office and private flats. Hipped natural slate roof (half-hipped to south end) with rendered chimneystacks, raised stone verges and cast-iron rainwater goods. Roughcast rendered walls with rendered quoins to corners, smooth cement rendered to east end elevation. Square-headed window openings with timber sash windows to north end of main façade, replacement windows elsewhere. Window openings to main façade have cut stone sills and cut stone hoodmouldings over. Windows paired to central bay. No hoodmouldings over window openings to end elevations. Paired square-headed doorcases to centre with chamfered cut stone surrounds, cut stone hoodmouldings over and replacement timber doors. Square-headed doorcase with chamfered cut stone surround, cut stone-hoodmoulding over and replacement steel door to north end elevation, modern square-headed carriage-arch to south end of main façade. Located in a prominent position in the streetscape to the east end of Kilbeggan at junction of main roads to Dublin and Tullamore. Petrol pumps to forecourt.

Appraisal

A highly prominent building in a subdued Tudor Gothic style, which provides a formal set piece at the east end of Kilbeggan. It retains its early form and character, despite multiple changes of use over the years. The main façade is slightly clumsy in execution but contains some good cut stone detailing to the window and door openings. The location of this hotel, in close proximity to the former Grand Canal Harbour (built 1828-35), suggests that this structure may have been built to cater for increased canal trade. This building remains an important part of the architectural heritage of Westmeath and a local landmark, dominating the approach into Kilbeggan from the east.