Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1820 - 1860
Terraced three-bay two-storey house, built c.1840. One of a pair with the building to the east. Pitched artificial slate roof with rendered chimneystack to east end and cast-iron rainwater goods. Roughcast rendered at first floor over smooth rendered ground floor, separated by projecting string course. Square-headed window openings with cut stone sills and replacement windows. Plain round-headed stone doorcase to western end bay with early timber panelled door (with central division and two long round-headed panels) and leaded spider's web fanlight over. Terracotta tiled entrance path and front area enclosed by dressed limestone plinth wall with cast-iron railings with spear finials over. Located to the east end of Kilbeggan.
An attractive, modestly-scaled house which retains its early character. Simple in design, it is typical of houses built at this time throughout Ireland. It retains much of its original fabric including a very fine doorcase with fanlight over and well-executed railings, which enhance the composition and give this building a certain gravitas. This building forms part of a handsome pair of buildings with the building to the east (15321048) and adds significantly to the historic streetscape of Kilbeggan.