Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1830 - 1850
End-of-terrace five-bay two-storey house with shopfront to ground-floor, built c.1840, remodeled after fire c.1920, now in use as residence only. Pitched artificial slate roof with overhanging bracketed eaves, a rendered chimneystack to east end and cast-iron rainwater goods. channelled rendered walls to ground floor over projecting plinth, raised block quoins to corners at either end and three corbelled pilasters supporting cornice acting as a string course. Ruled-and-lined render walls above to first floor. Five square-headed window openings to first floor with stone sills and paired timber casement windows with margin paned upper lights flanking single casement window to centre (above doorcase). Central square-headed door opening with timber panelled door and margin paned overlight above. Shopfront to east comprises large fixed window with central mullion and four margin paned upper lights above. Structure fronts onto footpath at road edge with small lane to east giving access to rear.
An elegant and richly decorated building of two distinct periods, which retains interesting fabric and features. The original mid nineteenth-century building was damaged following a fire c. 1920 (local information), possibly as a result of the War of Independence (1919-21) or the Irish Civil War (1922-23). The remodeled 1920s façade that followed is a fine example of its type and date and remains largely intact. The rendered detailing and the timber casement windows are noteworthy features of artist merit. Buildings of this type are relatively rare in small towns in Ireland and this structure adds variety to the largely early-to-mid nineteenth-century fabric in Kilbeggan and makes a positive statement in the streetscape.