Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1830 - 1850
Terraced five-bay two-storey former house, built c.1840, converted into hairdressers, veterinary clinic and apartments c.1980. Pitched natural slate roof with rendered chimneystack to east end, projecting eaves course and cast-iron rainwater goods. Smooth rendered walls over projecting plinth course with raised rendered block quoins to the corners. Square-headed window openings with cut stone sills, moulded decorative surrounds and replacement windows. Central round-headed doorcase with carved stone surround comprising blocks to base, pilasters, cornice and keystone detail. Replacement timber and glazed door with early spoked fanlight over. Display windows to either side of ground-floor comprising fixed single-pane windows with modern signboards/fascia attached to wall above. Fronting onto footpath at road edge.
This well-proportioned building retains its early character and many of its original features. The fine doorcase and the unusual window surrounds to the first floor openings are noteworthy features that help to add incident to the streetscape. Although now substantially altered this appealing structure continues to make a positive statement in the streetscape and adds to the historic core of Kilbeggan.