Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic

Original Use

Shop/retail outlet

In Use As

Public house


1800 - 1840


233497, 235412

Date Recorded


Date Updated



End-of-terrace three-bay two-storey former grocer's shop, built c.1820, converted into public house with accommodation over c.1960. Hipped natural slate roof with rendered chimneystacks. Smooth rendered walls to ground floor with pebbledashed section to first floor and smooth render panel below the eaves. Square-headed window openings with, rendered reveals, cut stone sills and one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows. Shop display window divided in three sections with arched heads to south end of ground floor on front fa├žade. Central round-headed doorcase to west elevation with carved stone surround having pilasters and keystone detail. Replacement timber door and plain glass fanlight. Pub sign to first floor comprises neon light with letters spelling "Dunicans Lounge". Fronts onto footpath at corner of Market Square and Main Street.


A well-proportioned early nineteenth-century building, which retains its early form despite a number of changes of use of the years. It forms an important component of the Market Square and retains some interesting original features, notably the fine door surround which is typical of Kilbeggan. The traditional combination of house and shop is an important component of the Irish townscape - now under threat from the move towards larger commercial premises and a reduced desire to live 'over the shop'. This building remains an important component of the streetscape and adds to the historic nature of Kilbeggan.