Categories of Special Interest
1860 - 1900
Pair of freestanding cast-iron water pumps, erected c.1880, comprising moulded spouts, fluted shafts terminated with fluted caps with acorn finials, with flanking cast-iron wheels to either side. Now no longer in use. Located in Market Square on modern brick forecourt.
An attractive pair of cast-iron water pumps of an unusual design. These appealing cast-iron artifacts act as a reminder of the mechanisms installed for the provision of clean drinking water in the period before mains water supply systems. Positioned in a very prominent location in the Market Square, these pumps played an important role in the social history of Kilbeggan and would have been used for both domestic water supply and for watering livestock on market days etc. Today they continue to provide a centrepiece to the Market Square and although not in their original positions they are an important feature of the streetscape.