Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic Historical Social

Previous Name

Kilbeggan RIC Barracks

Original Use

RIC barracks

In Use As

Garda station/constabulary barracks


1830 - 1860


233389, 235465

Date Recorded


Date Updated



End-of-terrace six-bay two-storey former Royal Irish Constabulary barracks, built c.1845, converted for use as a Garda Barracks by the Office of Public Works, c.1930. Pitched artificial slate roof with red brick chimneystacks to either end and uPVC rainwater goods. Ruled-and-line rendered walls with cut stone quoins to corners, projecting stone plinth to base and projecting sill course at first floor level. Square-headed window openings to first-floor with carved stone surrounds and six-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows. Round-headed window openings to ground-floor with carved stone surrounds, eight-over-eight pane modern timber sliding sash windows, cut stone sills and spoked fanlight to heads. Pair of round-headed door openings, centrally located, with carved stone surrounds, replacement sheeted timber doors and spoked fanlights over. Granite step to footpath on main street. Located towards centre of Kilbeggan.


An attractive and well-proportioned building, which retains its early form, character and fabric. The fine moulded surrounds to the openings are of artistic merit. This structure is of particular importance for its original intended role as part of a Royal Irish Constabulary barracks. This appealing structure is well-maintained and occupies a prominent location towards the centre of Kilbeggan, adding to the historic nature of the streetscape. The outbuildings to the rear add to the composition.