Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Historical Social

Original Use


In Use As

Public house


1750 - 1800


233381, 235434

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced seven-bay two-storey house, built c.1775. Formerly two separate houses. Now in use as a public house with accommodation over. Pitched artificial slate roof with large rendered chimneystack on square-plan to centre, simple eaves cornice and uPVC rainwater goods. Rendered walls over smooth rendered plinth. Square-headed window openings with four-over-four pane timber sliding sash windows and cut stone sills. Square-headed door opening to western bay with replacement glazed timber door. Modern pub front to east bays having timber pilasters and console brackets supporting fascia board with modern lettering spelling 'the olde volunteer'. Replacement timber doors to pub front with tiled floor to recessed modern entrance. Road-fronted towards the centre of Kilbeggan.


An attractive building which retains its early form and character. The survival of the original sash windows considerably adds to the historical character and authenticity of this building. The profile of the chimneystack, the long narrow window openings and the pronounced eaves course suggest a mid-eighteenth century date but this interesting building may contain earlier fabric. Indeed, much of the centre of Kilbeggan is marked by the presence of seventeenth century burgage plots to the rear suggesting that many of the buildings here may contain pre-1700 fabric. This structure is of historical significance on account of its connections with the Irish Volunteers and the 1798 Rebellion. It remains an important structure that strongly contributes to the architectural heritage of Kilbeggan.