Survey Data

Reg No

15321019


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic


Original Use

House


In Use As

House


Date

1800 - 1830


Coordinates

233370, 235444


Date Recorded

18/08/2004


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Terraced three-bay three-storey house, built c.1815, with integral carriage arch to east end. Shopfront added to ground floor, c.1950. Pitched artificial slate roof with rendered chimneystack to west end and cast-iron rainwater goods. Pebbledashed walls with moulded eaves cornice. Square-headed window openings with stone sills and replacement casement windows. Tiled mosaic shopfront to ground floor with fixed square-headed windows and square-headed doorcase. Mosaic pattern depicts animal heads to either side of opening and spells out 'L Claffey' to fascia. Integral carriage arch gives access to rear of site. Road-fronted.

Appraisal

A handsome and substantial terraced building which retains its early form and character. This house represents a good example of the many middle-sized dwellings built by the prosperous merchant class of Kilbeggan during the late eighteenth and early-nineteenth centuries. The later tiled mosaic shopfront is an interesting example of its type and is of artistic merit. It is one of a number of similar tiled shopfronts in Kilbeggan, suggesting that these were the work of a local firm or craftsman. This substantial structure remains and important feature of the historic streetscape.