Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1830 - 1840
Terraced two-bay two-storey house, built c.1835. Pitched artificial slate roof with rendered chimneystack to party wall and cast-iron rainwater goods. Wet-dash walls over rendered plinth course. Square-headed window openings with replacement timber casement windows and cut stone sills. Large window opening to ground floor. Square-headed door opening to west end with timber panelled door flanked by pilasters with console brackets supporting cornice and petal fanlight over. Granite steps to footpath. Road-fronted.
An interesting early-to-mid nineteenth-century house which retains its early form and character despite recent alterations. The visual appeal of this structure is enhanced by the retention of the fine doorcase and fanlight. The large window opening to the ground floor suggests that this building may have been used as a shop at some stage although wide (sometimes tripartite windows) were a common architectural feature during the period of construction. It remains an important component of the historic streetscape of Kilbeggan.