Categories of Special Interest
Archaeological Historical Social
1692 - 1770
Quaker burial ground on irregular-plan, erected c.1692, containing a collection of mainly eighteenth and nineteenth century upstanding grave markers. Now out of use and heavily overgrown. Plaque built into a wall to the north, now illegible. Remains of former Quaker Meeting House to the south side, built c.1692 and rebuilt c.1768. Complex surrounded by a rubble stone wall, now partially collapsed. Located to the north of Moate, behind the main street, an approached by an avenue to the south.
This Quaker burial ground, now overgrown and out of use, is of historical significance and is an interesting feature to the north of Moate. The headstones are very similar in style and lack adornment, reflecting the frugal ethos of the Quaker tradition. This graveyard and the remains of the meeting house (built 1694, rebuilt 1768 and largely demolished c.1930) was originally built by the Clibborn Family of Moate Castle (15317049). The Clibborns, along with other Quaker families such as the Homan and the Robinson families, were responsible for much of the growth and development of Moate and surrounding areas during the eighteenth and early-nineteenth centuries.