Survey Data

Reg No

15317038


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Social


Original Use

Store/warehouse


Date

1850 - 1870


Coordinates

218227, 238787


Date Recorded

02/09/2004


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Detached five-bay double-height gable-fronted railway goods shed associated with Moate Railway Station (15317037), built c.1851, having an advanced gable-fronted bay to the centre of the east elevation. Now disused. Pitched corrugated metal roof with clay ridge tiles, a brick chimneystack with cut stone bands to the east end and with cut stone coping to the gable ends (east and west). Constructed with squared coursed limestone rubble with rusticated ashlar limestone block quoins to the east gable end and with roughly dressed limestone quoins to the west gable end and to the advanced bay to the east elevation. Shallow segmental-headed window openings to the south elevation having dressed limestone block-and-start surrounds with projecting keystone detail, cut stone sills and with cast-iron multi-pane windows. Square-headed doorcase with brick surrounds to the advanced bay to the east, now infilled. Round-headed carriage arch to the north side of advanced bay (east), having dressed limestone surrounds and a modern corrugated metal sheeted door. Square-headed carriage arch to the south side of advanced bay, having a timber sheeted door. Located to the west of Moate Railway Station (15317037) and to the north of Moate.

Appraisal

An unusually well-detailed mid nineteenth-century goods shed associated with Moate Railway Station (15317037). This robust structure retains its original form and most of its original features. Well-built, this functional structure has some good quality cut stone detailing including the dressings to the window openings and the carriage arches. The broken pedimented detailing to the east gable end references the classical detailing to both the main station (15317037) and the water tower (15317034) to the east, effectively tying this building in with the main part of the station complex. This building was originally built by the Midland and Great Western Railway Company to serve the Mullingar to Galway line, which opened 1851 and closed in 1987. It forms part of an interesting group of related structures and is an important element of the civil engineering and transport heritage of Westmeath.