Categories of Special Interest
Artistic, Scientific, Technical
1840 - 1860
Freestanding single-arched railway foot bridge, erected c.1851, comprising a flat cast-iron arch with solid cast-iron parapets and staircase supported on cast-iron columns with Classical detailing and Doric capitals. Cast-iron work made in Dundalk. Located to the east side of Moate Railway Station (15317037) and to the north of Moate.
An appealing decorative cast-iron foot bridge associated with Moate Railway Station (15317037), which retains much of its early form and character despite being out of use. This structure is integral to the station complex, its graceful form adding to the overall elegance of the design of the station. The design and detail, particularly in the execution of the cast-iron column supports and bracings are visually pleasing and of high artistic and technical merit. This feature was built by the Midland and Great Western Railway Company to serve the Dublin Broadstone to Galway line, which opened between Mullingar and Galway in 1851 and closed to regular rail traffic in 1987. It forms part of an interesting collection of related structures at Moate Railway Station (15317037) and is an integral element of the civil engineering heritage of Westmeath.