Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Social

Previous Name

Scoil Náisiúnta Oilibhéir Beannuighthe Pluingcéad

Original Use


In Use As



1930 - 1940


218133, 238538

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Detached six-bay single-storey school, built c.1937, with single-storey returns and an extension to the rear (north). Hipped slate roof with central metal vent to the centre. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Smooth rendered walls with square-headed window openings, arranged in two groups of three, having replacement windows and concrete sills. Cut stone dedication plaque to centre. Square-headed doorway to west elevation with graduated rendered door surround and inscribed plaque above with ‘Boys’. Replacement uPVC door. Set back from road to the west end of Moate with a rendered boundary wall to the road frontage having mild steel railings over.


A pleasantly-composed modest-scale school built to a standard design prepared by the Office of Public Works accommodating two classrooms together with associated ranges to the rear in a wholly integrated compact design. Having been well-maintained this school presents an early aspect with most of the original fabric surviving intact. The original windows have been replaced but they retain the original horizontal glazing pattern. The later extensions do not detract from the external expression of this building. The staged/graduated doorway to the west end is an interesting surviving feature. The cut stone plaque over this doorcase inscribed ‘Boys’ suggests that this building originally had separate entrances/classrooms for boys and girls. This building makes a positive contribution to the streetscape of Moate.