Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Artistic, Social
In Use As
1840 - 1850
Detached gable-fronted four-bay single-storey with attic level former Presbyterian church, built in 1844. Now in use as a school. Pitched natural slate roof having cast-iron rainwater goods and a cut stone chimneystack (partially smooth rendered) to the west gable end. Coursed/snecked limestone rubble stone walls with dressed stone quoins to the corners and a projecting cut stone eaves course, carried around gables to form simple pediments. Round-headed openings to north and south elevations with cut stone sills and multi-pane cast-iron windows having intersecting tracery to heads. Round-headed window opening to west gable end, set high in gable, with multi-pane cast-iron windows with intersecting tracery to head. No window openings to entrance façade. Round-headed doorcase to the centre of the entrance gable (east) having (flush) dressed limestone block-and-start surround and replacement timber sheeted double doors. Date plaque over main doorcase, dated '1844'. Square-headed doorcase to west gable end having replacement timber sheeted door. Set back from road in mature grounds to the west end of Killucan. Rubble limestone boundary wall to road-frontage. Main entrance gates to the northeast, comprising a pair of cut stone gate piers having cast-iron gates. Former manse (15312020) located adjacent to the west.
An austere mid nineteenth-century Presbyterian church, which retains its early character, form and fabric. Well-built plainly detailed, this building has a simple form and purity that is typical of non-conformist churches built in Ireland at this time. The cast-iron windows are an important survival. This church forms an interesting pair of related structures with the former manse (15312020), located adjacent to the west, and is an interesting historical reminder of a once thriving Presbyterian community in the area. The good quality boundary walls and the main entrance gates complete the setting of this fine composition, which is an important addition to the streetscape of Killucan and to the built heritage of the local area.