Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1860 - 1880
Detached three-bay single-storey former canal store, built c.1870. Half-hipped corrugated metal roof, originally natural slate. Rubble limestone walls with brick dressings to the openings. Located on the north side of the former goods harbour at Mullingar Royal Canal Harbour and to the north of the centre of Mullingar.
A modest late nineteenth-century canal store, which forms part of an extensive collection of structures associated with the Royal Canal Harbour in Mullingar. With rubble limestone walls and brick trim to the openings, this utilitarian building still manages to keep its original architectural character despite some modern alteration and the loss of the original roof covering. Located adjacent to the former trade harbour, this good shed is the sole surviving example of a group of stores/warehouses that stood at this location. This functional structure recalls the significant role that the inland waterways played in the social and economic history of Westmeath. It was built at a time when canal trade was already in decline due to the coming of the railways. It forms part of an extensive group of features associated with the Royal Canal in Westmeath and remains an important part of the engineering heritage of Westmeath.