Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1850 - 1870
Terraced three-bay three-storey building, c.1860, now in use as retail outlet with offices over. Pitched slate roof with rendered chimneystacks to each gable end. Constructed of orange-coloured brick to upper floors with smooth rendered bands to either end of the front facade acting as quoins (previously had 'belt buckle'-style quoins, now removed). Smooth rendered finish to the ground floor with modern brick facing to shopfront to the east. Square-headed window openings to the upper floors with moulded architraves to first floor openings and strip architraves to the second floor openings. Replacement window fittings throughout. Square-headed openings to modern shopfront. Shallow segmental-headed doorway to the west end of the front façade having inset Corinthian colonnettes to either side, recessed head, timber brackets supporting moulded timber lintel over and a replacement glazed timber door. Road-fronted to the north side of Oliver Plunkett Street.
A handsome mid nineteenth-century building, which retains its early character despite alterations to the ground floor and the loss of the early fittings to the openings. The use of orange coloured brick, a common building material in Ireland during the 1850s and 1860s, helps to add interest to the streetscape. The survival of a good quality doorcase to the west end and the architraved surrounds to the first floor openings helps to give this building a certain presence, which enlivens the north side of Oliver Plunkett Street.