Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1740 - 1760
Terraced four-bay three-storey house, built c.1750, having a shopfront to the west end of the ground floor. Steeply pitched slate roof with moulded eaves course, rendered chimneystacks to each gable end and cast-iron rainwater goods. Rendered façade with square-headed openings having stone sills and with one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows to the second floor openings and replacement windows to the first floor. Square-headed window opening with moulded arrises to the east end of the ground floor having a ten-over-ten pane timber sliding sash window and a cut stone sill with decorative cast-iron sill guard. Central segmental-headed doorway, c.1860, having simple inset surround, glazed timber door, timber surround with timber brackets supporting moulded lintel over and a plain glass overlight. early-twentieth century shopfront to the west end of the ground floor with square-headed openings having bronzed metal detailing. Road-fronted to the north side of Oliver Plunkett Street.
A large mid-eighteenth century house, which retains its early form and character. This building is an important legacy of the early town and is one of the earliest buildings still extant in Mullingar. This building, and its neighbours adjacent to the west, could well date to the immediate aftermath of a fire that apparently devastated much of Mullingar in 1747. Although altered over the centuries, many of these alterations are of a good standard and add another layer of interest to this early building, including the well-detailed mid-nineteenth bracketed timber doorcase and the simple early twentieth-century shopfront to the west end. The wide window opening to the east end at ground floor level, which retains a cast-iron sill guard of some decorative merit, suggests that the ground floor of this building has been used as a retail outlet from an early date. This building remains an important element of the architectural heritage of Mullingar and an integral element of an interesting group of mid-eighteenth century buildings to the north side of Oliver Plunkett Street.