Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Artistic Social
In Use As
1910 - 1920
Terraced four-bay two-storey building, c.1915, having a shop to the ground floor. Steeply pitched slate roof with cast-iron downpipes and with a shared rendered chimneystack to the east gable end. Two gable-fronted dormer windows having paired four-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows, barge boards and half-timbered detailing to gable apexes. Rendered walls over chamfered plinth with square-headed window openings to the first floor having six-over-two pane timber sliding sash windows and rendered surrounds comprising Doric pilasters supporting pediments over. Square-headed doorway to the west end of the front façade having original panelled door, decorative frieze over with foliate motif and a multi-paned overlight above, matching detailing of overlights to shopfront adjacent to the west. Central recessed canted entrance to shopfront with square-headed doorway having decorative frieze and multi-paned overlight above. Doorway flanked to either side by square-headed plate glass windows having decorative colonnettes to corners with foliate capitals over supporting decorative panels with foliate motifs. Multi-paned overlights run along length of shopfront. Fluted pilasters to either end of shopfront and flanking doorcase to west side with timber fascia board over with fluted brackets to either end. Road-fronted to the north side of Oliver Plunkett Street.
A highly appealing and well-detailed early-twentieth building, which retains its early form, fabric and character. This is a rare surviving example of a building where the shopfront and the detailing to the upper floors forms part of a common, planned decorative scheme. Of particular interest is the very fine shopfront, which retains all its original details, including delicate columns, multi-paned overlights and highly decorative foliate panels. This building is one of the most important facets of the streetscape in the centre of Mullingar and is an important component of the architectural heritage of the town, adding a strong decorative element to the north side of Oliver Plunkett Street.