Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1830 - 1850
Corner-sited end-of-terrace seven-bay three-storey commercial premises, built c.1840, having two/three modern replica traditional shopfronts to the front façade (south). Originally two houses of three-bays and four-bays. Pitched slate roof with three chimneystacks, two rendered and one red brick chimneystack to the east gable end, and having cast-iron rainwater goods. Cement pebbledashed walls to upper floors with raised quoins to the corners. Square-headed window openings with rendered reveals and replacement windows. Set slightly back from road frontage at a corner site to the northeast end of Oliver Plunkett Street.
A plain but substantial late-Georgian or late-Georgian-style building, occupying an important central location, which retains its early form but has been extensively altered in recent years with the resulting loss of early fabric and character. This building was originally built as two separate buildings, later joined, and has the street presence and scale that typifies late-Georgian (or late-Georgian-style) urban architecture. However, the extensive recent alterations have diminished its architectural merit and taken away from its visual impact.