Survey Data

Reg No

15310197


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic Social


Original Use

Shop/retail outlet


In Use As

Public house


Date

1840 - 1860


Coordinates

243668, 253036


Date Recorded

07/07/2004


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Terraced three-bay two-storey former retail unit, built c.1850. Now in use as a public house and amalgamated with the building to the south (15310198). Pitched slate roof having a shared rendered chimneystack to the north end. Roughcast rendered walls over smooth rendered plinth. Segmental-headed window openings to the first floor with rendered reveals and replacement windows. Central shallow segmental-headed doorway with rendered pilasters having moulded brackets over (bracket to north removed), a timber door and a plain overlight. Doorway flanked to either side (north and south) by wide segmental-headed display windows having rendered reveals and plate glass windows with central mullion. Shopfront over comprising rendered fascia board having incised lettering reading 'T. L. Hutchinson', moulded brackets to either end and a pronounced moulded cornice over. Road-fronted on a back lane to the north side of the centre of Mullingar.

Appraisal

A simple but well-proportioned mid nineteenth-century building, which retains its early form and character. This modest building is enlivened by the well-detailed fascia board, the wide display windows and by the central bracketed doorway. It is unusual to find a shopfront of this nature on such a peripheral side street, indicating that it originally formed the side entrance to a large retail outlet fronting on Oliver Plunkett Street. This building forms part of a complex of structures with the buildings adjacent to the north (15310196) and the south (15310198). It makes a positive contribution to the streetscape with the shopfront adding attractive incident to Martin's Lane.