Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1850 - 1860
Detached three-bay two-storey house, built c.1860. Now in use as offices. Pitched natural slate roof with cast-iron rainwater goods and rendered chimneystacks (having terracotta pots over) to either gable end. Pebbledash rendered walls over plinth course with raised alternating block and 'belt-buckle'-style quoins to the corners. Square-headed window openings with one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows. Central se segmental-headed architraved doorway having an early recessed timber panelled door, overlight and a timber doorcase, comprising timber pilasters with console brackets supporting a moulded timber cornice over. Set back from road with small enclosed garden to the north with a rendered boundary wall having looped wrought-iron railings over. Looped wrought-iron gate. Located on the south side of Bishop's Gate Street.
A well-proportioned mid nineteenth-century house, which retains its early character, form and fabric. The front façade of this building is distinguished by the good quality doorcase and the retention of the timber sash windows. The 'belt-buckle'-style quoins to the corners are a recurring motif in Mullingar, possibly indicating a local design trend. The simple looped wrought-iron railings help to add interest to the streetscape. This building makes a positive contribution to Bishop's Gate Street, forming part of a varied collection of mid-to-late nineteenth-century houses along the south side of this street. This building is similar in form to 'Church View' to the west, suggesting that they built as part of a common building project.