Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1860 - 1880
Detached three-bay two-storey house, built c.1870. Pitched slate roof having a moulded red brick eaves cornice and with red brick chimneystacks to either gable end (east and west). Constructed of red brick over smooth rendered plinth with raised rendered quoins to either end. Segmental-headed window openings with shouldered rendered surrounds and replacement windows. Round-headed doorway to the east end of the front façade having rendered architrave, timber panelled door, plain glass overlight and carved timber brackets supporting moulded timber cornice over.
A simple but pleasantly-detailed small-scale mid-to-late nineteenth-century house, which retains much of its early character and form. The rendered detailing to the openings adds interest to the front façade and creates an appealing contrast with the red brick construction. The survival of a good quality timber doorcase is a notable feature, adding interest to the front facade. The loss of the early window fittings, although regrettable, fails to detract substantially from the visual expression of this house. This building adds attractive incident to the south side of Bishop's Gate Street and is an addition to the streetscape.