Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Technical

Original Use

Dry dock

In Use As

Dry dock


1805 - 1810


243626, 253506

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Canal dry dock , built c.1806, serving the Royal Canal. Constructed of dressed limestone blocks, stepping out in eight tiers to the dock bed and curved at ends, with flight of steps built into west side. Modern metal railings around the top. Timber and steel lock gates to the south to allow access to the Royal Canal and sluice gates to the south to drain water. Located adjacent to Mullingar Harbour (153100150).


Recently restored, this dry dock is an interesting element of the extensive canal heritage of Westmeath. The quality of the dressed limestone construction of the dry dock walls and of the associated machinery is indicative of the grandiose ambitions of the Royal Canal Company during the early part of the nineteenth century. This dry dock, along with the sluice and lock keeper's gates have been designed and constructed with a high level of expertise indicating the importance of their role in the past and remains an important element of the architectural and industrial heritage of Westmeath.