Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic Social

Original Use


In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


1830 - 1850


243605, 252944

Date Recorded


Date Updated



End-of-terrace two-bay three-storey house, built c.1840, now in use as a retail outlet. One of a pair with the building adjacent to the east (15310062). Pitched natural slate roof with cast-iron rainwater goods and a rendered chimneystack to the west end. Coursed squared limestone rubble walls, originally rendered, with roughly dressed limestone quoins to the corner (east). Square-headed window openings having brick dressings, moulded architraves and six-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows. Continuous sill course at first floor level. Timber shopfront to ground floor, c.1880, having timber pilasters with foliate capitals supporting timber fascia board with cornice over. Central recessed square-headed doorcase flanked to either side by square-headed plate glass windows. Located to the west end of Oliver Plunkett Street.


A very appealing mid nineteenth-century building, which retains its early form, character and fabric. The brick dressings to the openings and the moulded architraves to the window openings, indicates that this building was originally rendered. Of particular importance is the survival of the good quality late nineteenth-century timber shopfront. Timber shopfronts of this nature, having classical proportions and detailing, were once a common feature of Irish towns and villages but are now becoming increasingly rare, making this an important survival. This well-maintained building is a credit to its owners and makes a very strong positive contribution to the streetscape in the centre of Mullingar Town.