Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1850 - 1870
Detached single-storey railway platform shelter and ancillary single-storey structures associated with Mullingar Train Station (15310049), built c.1860. Platform on curved in plan following course of railway lines. Now out of use. Hipped slate roof over platform, having decorative pierced timber bargeboards, supported on cast-iron columns. Timber glazed panel to either end of platform. Single-storey rubble limestone building with a hipped slate roof runs behind platform (south) to the east end having square-headed door openings with brick dressings and timber sheeted doors. No windows to platform side. Detached three-bay single-storey timber shed to the east end of platform having pitched corrugated metal-roof and square-headed openings. Entrance to subway giving assess under railway line now blocked. Located to the south of main Mullingar Station Building (15310049).
A good quality railway platform shelter and ancillary structures associated with Mullingar Station (15310049), which maintain their early form and fabric despite being out of use. These structures were built by the Midland and Great Western Railway Company to serve the Mullingar to Galway line, which opened in 1851 but they probably originally date to the rebuilding of the station in 1856. One of the rooms to the building to the south was originally in use as a telegraph office and appears to retain its early fittings. This platform shelter and ancillary buildings from part of an important group of structures associated with Mullingar Station (15310049), which represents one of the best examples of its type in Ireland.