Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1845 - 1851
Single-arch railway bridge, built c.1850 and altered c.1890, carrying railway line over road. Constructed of rusticated limestone with a steel span over having wrought-iron/steel parapets/balustrades, added c.1890. Located to the west of Mullingar Station (15310049) with section of retaining wall/embankment running away to the west (15310046).
A robustly-detailed bridge forming an integral part of the railway and civil engineering heritage of County Westmeath. This bridge was originally built by the Midland and Great Western Railway Company to serve the Dublin Broadstone to Galway line, which was opened as far as Mullingar in 1848 and was completed in 1851. The steel span probably replaced an earlier masonry arch. The cast-iron balustrades to this span are of late nineteenth-century appearance and add an extra decorative element to this functional structure.