Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1848 - 1860
Terrace of eight two-storey former railway worker’s houses on varying sizes, built c.1855. Only one now still lived in (No. 1, east end), the others now out of use and overgrown. Pitched natural slate roofs with cast-iron rainwater goods and rendered chimneystacks having terracotta chimney pots over. Rendered walls over rubble stone construction. Faced limestone finish to walls to rear (north). Square-headed window openings with cut stone sills and timber sliding sash windows. Square-headed doorcases with plain overlights and timber doors. Set back from road with rear elevations (north) facing over railway sidings and former locomotive shed (15310044). Gardens to the front having coursed limestone boundary walls with crenellated coping and timber sheeted doors. Located to the west of Mullingar Station (15310049).
A substantial terrace of former railway worker’s house, which retain their character, form and fabric despite now mainly overgrown and derelict condition. They were probably constructed by the Midland and Great Western Railway Company during the first decade after the initial construction of Mullingar Railway Station (c.1848). The only dwelling still lived in, No.1 to the east end, was traditionally the Station Master’s house and another (probably one backing onto the former Locomotive Shed (15310044) was used as a dormitory for locomotive drivers. These well-built houses from part of an important group of structures associated with Mullingar Station (15310049) and form a strong link with the history of the railway and the lives of the workers. The robust boundary walls to the front (south) complete the setting and add to this composition.